M3 Discussion

Three Albums 




Game Freak by Ghost Town


One of my favorite bands is Ghost Town and they actually became popular from their artwork. The artist had uploaded a video of himself painting the artwork to "Game Freak" with the song in the background and it went viral. I've always loved their music since I was a teen, each song had its own cover from the same artist, Alister Dippner. This was my first song I heard from Ghost Town, and I immediately became captivated by its artwork, composition, and color, which surely enough made me listen to each and every song of theirs. They had different covers for each song so it felt like a different mood on each one with special meanings. This one made me feel as if her mood correlated with the song, losing hope and hopeless. The lyrics say "lost hope in my will to live" and she's looking down with a sigh shaped as a skull. It's a bit chaotic around her, she may be part of a machine. I wonder if she is real. All these thoughts flow through my head as I look at this image, so lively and colorful, yet makes me feel a bit sad all at once.




Wishful Thinking by Kyd the Band


This beautiful cover holds so much meaning inside it to me. Feelings of sadness wash over me as I look deeper at this faceless character in the middle of the photo. It's dark, raining, her "face" seems the house,  I'm assuming it's her home. The house seems to be connected to her in some way. The other album covers show this same house, with different lighting and colors, or other objects in front of the home. I was captivated by this "person" though, and whenever I listened more to the song I felt more and more like her in the photograph. It's kind of hard to explain but I could feel this image strongly, maybe because of my mood and its sad disposition. I chose this album cover because I am always drawn more to a song when I can connect and interpret its album cover.





Skin & Earth by Lights

Hands down my favorite artist is Lights. She's more than just a singer and songwriter, she's used her talents to create a comic book called Skin & Earth. As I was reading the comic her lyrics to some of the songs were actually in her comic book, which I thought was amazingly creative. This album has a story in it which she also made her comic book to. This album cover has a light and airy feel to it, with her in the middle and her logo obscured but visible through her. The name seems to correlate well with her album cover, Skin & Earth. There's lots of earthy tones, and her skin which almost blends in with the background. Lights is looking down, her tattoos visible on her wrist (one of which is also her logo). This beautiful and stunning photograph makes me wonder why her hand is up in that position, and if there is some sort of significance I'm missing. The red in her hair stands out to me and gives the album a lot of life; after all, red is her main theme color. I believe this is a very powerful picture of her alone, and it has piqued my interest in reading and listening to the story that goes with it.

Comments